Thursday, July 7, 2016

Summer Learning

I CAN'T STOP LEARNING!!! As teachers summer vacation for some of us is a time for pure relaxation! It is a time to work on that hobby that you start every year and never get to finish. Maybe it is an opportunity for you to water that grass that has been neglected for 9 months. The grass was once green and now it has incorporated a mixture of brown and looks as if a fire was started in your lawn. Summer vacation is definitely one of the great perks of teaching.

I was taught by my parents, grandparents, and many mentors to never stop learning. There are so many things in this world that I don't know, which fuels my hunger for more information. One of our worlds greatest philosophers, Mahatma Gandhi once said, "Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

For me, summer time is a time to relax, but also a time to learn and do more research. I want to be sure that I am on target with the latest strategies, up to date on the latest research, and attend professional developments that are relevant to what I want to do in the classroom. 

The International Literacy Association has been around for 60 years and they have provided teachers and leaders with resources to help inspire our students. It is a global community that is spread across 75 countries. This conference ties in with all my beliefs and why I became an educator.


It is truly a blessing to have this opportunity to learn and grow as an educator. Events across our country from the past couple of days provide me with an energy to continue to make change and help inspire the next generation. 


My 3 day journey starts in the morning and I know I will come home to Minnesota, stronger, wiser, and overall a better man. Shout out to my wife, who always supports me and believes in everything that I do. I also want to give a shout out to all those who helped and supported me through the Passion Grant process, as the Passion Grant is the reason I am able to attend this prestigious conference. 


Peace to the world! Boston here I come!













Here is a quick video that speaks about the mission of the ILA:







































No comments:

Post a Comment